Coffee has always been a significant part of my life. For me, it’s a chance to start my day and gather my thoughts – it’s fuel for my creative process – Connor Franta
For us, life is all about coffee. Without that first cup in the morning, we can barely function, and without regular and constant infusions throughout the day, we find it hard to keep up with the increasingly rapid pace of modern, creative life.
It’s our devotion to the multiple pleasures of caffeine that’s helped to ease our transition from java devotees to coffee connoisseurs and initially made us aware that the best way to kick start the day and to relax and watch the world pass you buy, is with a great cup of French Press coffee.
But if you want to totally submerge your taste buds and senses in French Press coffee and experience it the way it was meant to be enjoyed, the best way to do it is by grinding your own coffee beans to make it with. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the best coffee grinders that you can use to make you make the very best French Press coffee.
After all, if you ask any experienced barista about how to make coffee like the professionals do, they’ll always tell you that the secret lies with the beans and how you grind them. It’s time to open the portal to coffee heaven and find the grinder with the key to French Press success…
Using the latest grinding technology, Mueller’s ultra-grind was engineered to give you complete control over the size of your coffee grind and to maintain the uniformity of grind size once you’ve discovered which one you prefer.
With an easy to adjust, ten grind setting that lets you travel between fine and coarse and every stage between with the simple twist of a dial, the Mueller Ultra-Grind has been made to make your caffeine life easier at every stage of the coffee-making process.
It’s two hundred and forty-gram bean box can hold enough coffee for, depending on your favored size of grind, anything between thirty and thirty-two cups of coffee, and thanks to Mueller using only the highest quality, precision parts in their coffee grinder, it’s also surprisingly quiet.
While most grinders operate at around eighty decibels, Mueller has lowered the operating volume of their grinder by nearly ten decibels. And as well know all too well, a quieter life is a happy life.
- The incredible level of control that this grinder gives you over the size and quality of the coffee that you’re going to use for your French Press is absolutely staggering. With time, a little patience, and lots of trial and error during which you’ll have to drink a lot of French Press coffee (we can’t even begin to tell you how much we envy that “hardship”) you’ll be able to discover your perfect size of coffee grind.
- It’s also devastatingly easy to clean, as the top burr is removable and the grinder features an embedded cleaning brush to sweep away the grinds that you don’t need or want.
- As well as being easy to clean, the Ultra-Grind is also incredibly simple to use. Fill up the bean holder, select your desired level of grind, push the on and off button and it’ll grind until it runs out of beans, at which point it’ll shut itself off.
- And if you’ve had a long, hard night, when you start grinding your beans the next morning, you’ll thank all the coffee gods that Mueller made their machine quieter than the average grinder. It’s the little things that matter.
- For a brand with such a flawless reputation, it was a little disturbing to discover that some users had run into dependability and longevity issues with the Ultra-Grind. While we’re sure that Mueller has corrected any, and all, faults that the Ultra-Grind had, it’s something that’s worth considering before investing your time, coffee beans, and hard-earned dollars in Mueller’s premier coffee grinder.
- Highest Quality - This new Mueller Conical Burr Grinder provides you with the highest quality and newest technology on the market. The hardened alloy steel conical burr coffee grinder gives you the perfect control over the grind size and uniform grinding for full coffee flavor.
- Large Capacity - Coffee bean hopper and removable grounds container have the capacity to produce 30-32 cups of great tasting coffee.
- Precision Grinding - Gear reduction motor grinds slow with reduced noise making rich flavored, tasty ground coffee. This Burr Grinder is made from hardened alloy steel conical burrs reserved for more expensive commercial machines and will give you many years of long trouble-free use.
- Easy To Clean - Removable top burr with embedded cleaning brush for the effortless cleaning as well as One Button Touch operation - On/Off button with the auto-stop at the end of the grinding cycle.
- Mueller's mission - Our mission is to deliver simply superior products that improve people's lives!
Last update on 2021-07-23 // More Information
He wanted to do things that spoke to his soul and wanted to share his passion for coffee with the world, and so JavaPresse was born to do just that. And they’ve been following Raj’s heart ever since.
Knowing that coffee begins to lose up to forty percent of its aroma and rich, dense oils within fifteen minutes of grinding, JavaPresse designed their coffee grinder to be used before every brew.
That’s why it was made to only grind enough coffee for two cups at a time so that you’ll always have the freshest, most balanced coffee every single time you use JavaPresse to grind your beans.
And while we’re on the subject of grinding, the JavaPresse has a manual selector that allows you to control the size and quality of your grind, which has eighteen different settings that’ll take you from ultra-fine all the way to coarse and help you to find the right flavor profile for you.
As everything is done by hand with the JavaPresse, there’s no unwanted noise, no limitations to where you can and can’t use it to grind coffee, and you can take it with you anywhere you go.
It may not be the biggest grinder out there, but bigger isn’t always better, and sometimes, just like Raj, you need to think with your heart instead of your head in order to make the very best French Press coffee.
- Made by a coffee fanatic who wanted to share his passion for caffeine with other coffee fanatics, the JavaPresse coffee grinder uses high-quality ceramic burrs to ensure that you get the best grind every single time you use it.
- With eighteen different grind sizes and settings, the JavaPresse can help to guide you through the world of French Press flavor that’s waiting for you. All you need to do is start grinding and you’ll take your first steps on your java journey.
- It’s an easy to clean hand grinder that will enable you to grind where you want and wherever you like. You won’t be limited by electrical demands or the endless quest for batteries, the only ingredient (except for coffee beans of course) that the JavaPresse needs in order to grind, is you.
- It’s small and will only grind two cups worth of coffee at any given time. But as it was designed to do that in order to maximize the flavor and consistency of your French Press coffee, it isn’t really a flaw. If you want more coffee, you’ll just have to grind more coffee, which is what the JavaPresse was made to do. Grind coffee.
- Some dedicated coffee enthusiasts have been less than positive about the JavaPresse and have claimed that it has difficulty maintaining an even grind, which can, and does, have a negative impact on the flavor profile of the coffee that it grinds.
- [ Built-in Adjustable Grind Selector ] Equipped with over 18 manual grind settings to ensures you have 100% precision & control over the coarseness of your grind making for the perfect cup of coffee to start your day.
- [ Convenient, Portable & Easy to Use ] Removable hand crank mechanism consistently eliminates over 90% the noise that an electric coffee bean grinder would produce. No batteries, power, or long plastic cords needed to operate your coffee burr grinder at home or on the go.
- [ Grind Fresh Coffee, Everyday! ] JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder only dispenses your desired fresh coffee bean experience - feel the coffee beans grind as you mill them the manual way! Smell the fresh aroma of your daily coffee as you brew them on your espresso machine, Aeropress, French Press or Pour Over Coffee Maker. Ground, Brew, and Enjoy!
- [ Built to Last ] Crafted with the same essence as traditional Japanese cookware, our patented Ceramic Burrs are tested through three quality inspections to last 5x's longer than comparable stainless steel burrs
- The JavaPresse Manual Burr Coffee Grinder was built with a patented professional grade ceramic conical burr to provide an incredibly consistent grind for a variety of brews. We are so confident in this grinder we stand behind it with a manufacture warranty & 100% money back guarentee
Last update on 2021-07-23 // More Information
Responsible for the creation of a number of industry firsts, Capresso is a brand that takes pride in everything that they do and continually strives to push the envelope of coffee excellence to new and dizzying heights.
The Infinity Conical Burr Grinder can hold up eight-point eight ounces of beans in its hopper and up to four ounces of ground coffee in its grind container.
With a wide grinding range that can jump between Turkish ultra fine and coarse French Press at the twist of a dial, it’s an ideal grinder to help you experiment with a multitude of different flavors and brewing techniques.
Precision is the Infinity’s calling card, and it uses its gear reduction motor to ensure that it always grinds slowly and accurately and consistently delivers the sort of ground coffee that you’ll enjoy time and time again.
Capresso has also made the Infinity ridiculously easy to clean by making the top burr simple to remove so that you can get into all the places that ground coffee likes to hide with ease.
You’ll never have to worry or even think about different roasts of coffee becoming mixed up inside the Infinity, as it’ll always be spotlessly clean (providing of course that you clean it between grinds) and ready to grind.
- It doesn’t just grind coffee like it’s going out of fashion, it also looks good while it’s doing it. We can’t think of a single countertop that wouldn’t be enhanced and made to look a little better by having an Infinity resting on it.
- It’s sixteen different levels of grind, all of which are easily controlled with its intuitive dial, ensures that whatever your taste in coffee, the Infinity will be able to deliver the grind that you crave.
- Made from heavy-duty zinc and durable see-through heavy grade plastic (which allows you to watch every stage of the grind as it’s happening in real-time), the Infinity has been built to be durable and last for as long as you want to grind coffee.
- With an eight-point eight-ounce bean hopper and a four-ounce ground coffee container, the Infinity can, and will, grind as much coffee as you want to brew.
- A number of less satisfied coffee fans have pointed out that if you don’t use the Infinity to grind more than a couple of cups worth of coffee a day, it has a tendency to trap almost as much ground coffee inside its mechanism as it delivers to the ground coffee container. Which means that it wastes a lot of good coffee. And nobody wants to see coffee get wasted.
- PRECISION GRINDING: Commercial-grade, solid steel conical burrs with advanced cutting design
- WIDE GRINDING RANGE: From ultrafine Turkish to French Press coarse and everything in between
- PRESERVES AROMA: Gear reduction motor grinds slow with reduced noise and little static build-up
- LARGE CAPACITY: 8.8 ounce bean container and 4 ounce ground coffee container
- EASY TO CLEAN: Removable upper burr allows access for easy cleaning
Last update on 2021-07-23 // More Information
You may not have heard of them, but that’s because Hario is one of the coffee worlds best-kept secrets, which means that we’d best start watching our back as caffeine purists can be vengeful and single-minded, and who knows what punishment they have reserved for us now that we’ve shared the secret of Hario.
The Skerton-Pro is a cutting edge hand grinder whose burr can be easily adjusted to control the size of the grind and can hold up to eight cups worth of ground coffee, ensuring that you’ll have enough for you and any friends that might have stopped by to visit to enjoy the finest French Press coffee.
With a non-slip, rubber base, the Skerton-Pro has been made to make grinding easy. Just adjust the setting, turn the handle and you’ll be able to grind all the coffee that you’ll ever, want, or need.
Easy to use and simple to take apart and clean, Hario’s Skerton Pro has been engineered to appeal, and appease the demands of, newcomers to the coffee brewing scene and long-standing aficionados alike.
It keeps grinding simple so that all you have to do is think about all the delicious French Press coffee that you’ll be able to make with the coffee that you’ll grind with your Hario.
- Built with an easy to adjust and use ceramic burr, that’s also incredibly easy to remove so that you can easily clean your grinder, the Skerton follows a rule that’s as true today as it always has been. The fewer parts a machine has, the less that can go wrong with it.
- Its ground coffee hopper can hold up to eight cups worth of the finest java that you can use to brew your French Press coffee.
- Hario exists for one reason and one reason alone. To help coffee fanatics the word over brew the sort of delicious java that they crave in their own homes. They’re a brand that you can trust and always depend on.
- The consistency of the grind that it produces can vary, which can have a devastating effect on the flavor profile of any coffee that you brew. As long as you grind slowly and carefully, it shouldn’t be a problem, but if you do grind a little too quickly, your coffee might not taste the way you want, or expect, it to. Remember, it’s all about speed, or rather the lack of it, when it comes to grinding the Hario way.
- The Skerton Pro retains the shape of Hario's classic Skerton design, while adding some sleek, modern lines
- Ceramic conical burrs ensure a precise, uniform grind
- New burr design with simpler grind adjustment mechanism
- Newly designed detachable handle and improved burr shaft enables more stable grinding
- Nonslip rubber base keeps the mill in place during grinding
Last update on 2021-07-23 // More Information
And given how rigidly they adhere to the principle of making their customer’s lives easy, enjoyable, and fun, they were bound to feature on our list of coffee grinders. We’re Breville believers, we always have been and we always will be.
With sixty unique settings, this fully programmable burr grinder will take you on tour around the world of coffee that includes espresso, French Press, and just about every other style of coffee in between.
Able to grind directly into a portafilter, the ground coffee container, paper filters, or gold-tone filter basket, the Smart Grinder has an eighteen-ounce bean hopper capacity which means that’s it’s capable of grinding a whole days (and tomorrow’s too) worth of coffee at the touch of a button.
Breville has effortlessly combined the worlds of up to the minute technology and traditional coffee grinding in this state of the art coffee grinder.
Able to do all of the things that other coffee grinders wish they could, it’s a serious grinder for serious coffee people that’ll grind the best French Press coffee that you’ll ever taste.
- It’s fully programmable, so you can choose the type and duration of grind that you want, which will deliver the exact amount of coffee that you require whenever you want it.
- With sixty different settings, it’s an incredibly precise grinder that will take you a lifetime to fully explore. As it has so many choices of grind and there’s so little time to try them all, we’d recommend that you start as soon as possible.
- Unfortunately, all of the technology and the incredible variety of grinds that this machine is imbued with and capable of producing come with a reassuringly high price tag. Unless you’re deadly serious about coffee, it might be wise to bypass the Breville and spare your pocketbook the pain that it’ll inflict upon it.
- Stainless steel conical burrs designed to minimize grinding heat and protect the essential oils in the coffee bean
- 60 precise grind settings from the finest Espresso to the coarsest French Press Grind. Voltage: 110 120 Volts. Power: 165 Watts
- Precision Electronic Timer allows users to adjust grind time in 0.2 second increments and consistent dose every time
- 18 ounce coffee bean capacity with locking system for easy removal, storage, and transfer of the bean hopper
- Grind directly into portafilter, grinds container, gold tone filter basket or paper filter
Last update on 2021-07-23 // More Information
Which Coffee Grinder For French Press Coffee Is The Right One For Me?
Given the disparity of price between the coffee grinders on our list, the main driving factor that should determine which grinder is the right one for you is your budget.
Set it, stick to it, and have another look at the list. There’s a coffee grinder on it for you, we guarantee it. The secondary factor that you’ll need to consider is whether you want to grind by hand or let the grinder do all of the work for you.
Once you’ve made your mind up about both, the right grinder will jump off the list, straight into your home. And then, with a little help from your chosen grinder, you’ll be able to make all of the mouth-watering and delectable French press coffee you want to.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is French Press Coffee?
French press coffee is coffee that is made using a French press or cafetiere, which is a device that uses a plunger to infuse coffee and hot water to make coffee.
The coffee, which is submerged into hot water by way of a plunger and is then poured directly from the cafetiere (which often has a filter to prevent stray coffee grounds from escaping the French press) directly into the cup.
Widely considered to be one of the best ways to make coffee by hand, the French press is beloved by staunch coffee lovers the world over.
What Is A Coffee Grinder?
A coffee grinder is a device that is used to grind coffee beans so that the coffee, or the grind, can then be used to make coffee in a number of different ways.
Designed to be adaptable and versatile, coffee grinders are capable of producing a number of different sizes and levels of grind according to the taste of the person who is using them.